Step outside and experience the charm of Wellington, a capital city acclaimed for its creative arts, vibrant café culture and extraordinary restaurant and bar scene. Add in its stunning harbour and surrounding suburban hillside, and it will be clear to see why Wellington’s is ranked highly among top world destinations.
With our location adjacent to the waterfront, InterContinental Wellington offers the perfect base for a truly memorable Wellington experience. Discover the city's top attractions and hidden gems with the help of insider knowledge and recommendations from our award-winning Concierge team during your stay.
Wellington's Top attractions
Wellington Cable Car
The Wellington Cable Car is one of Wellington’s oldest and most popular tourist attractions. A visit to the capital would not be complete without a trip aboard this beloved Wellington icon. Ride the charming red funicular railway from Lambton Quay up to the steep slopes of Kelburn. At the top you can visit the Space Place at Carter Observatory and the award winning Cable Car Museum situated in the old cable car winding room. Ride the Cable Car return or choose to meander through the beautiful Botanic Gardens back in to the city.
The Wellington Cable Car runs every 10 minutes. Monday to Friday 8:30am – 10:00pm. Sunday and Public Holiday 9:00am - 9:00pm
Te Papa Museum
Within a 15 minutes walk along Wellington's beautiful waterfront, you will find Te Papa, New Zealand's leading national museum. Educate yourself and discover stories about New Zealand's rich culture, art, geology and natural environment at an array of innovative and interactive exhibitions. In addition to Te Papa's permanent exhibitions, the museum hosts a diverse range of both New Zealand and internationally acclaimed art exhibition tours throughout the year.
Te Papa is open 365 days a year, Hours: 10am–6pm (late night 9pm Thursday). Free entry. Charges apply to some short-term exhibitions and activities.
Give yourself an experience to some of the most rarest and extraordinary wildlife on the planet. This is one of ‘33 things not to miss in New Zealand’ and it gives you an exposure to the New Zealand’s amazing natural heritage. Enjoy the new exhibition experience, roaming around the sanctuary valley or have a unique experience with the by Night tour.
Open 9am-5pm Daily. Entry charges apply
As New Zealand's capital city, many of the nations public services, including the government reside in Wellington. Learn more about the history and government of New Zealand with a guided tour of the iconic ‘Beehive’ and parliament buildings.
Tours last 1 hour and it pays to arrive 15 minutes early. Tours are free and run every hour on the hour.
A 20 minute drive out to the Wellington suburb of Miramar is all it takes to look the behind the scenes at Weta Studios. Learn more about the film business and the production of the Lord of the Rings And Hobbit movies.
Other Things To Do
- Stroll along the Wellington Waterfront to the Clyde Quay Boat Harbour
- Grab a coffee and a bite to eat along Cuba Street, Wellington's eclectic pedestrian mall.
- Walk the golden mile of shopping along Lambton Quay
- Head up to the Mount Victoria Lookout for sweeping views of Wellington City.
- Take in the sights with one of the many tours available including the Seal Coast Safari, Hop on Hop off tours and the Lord of the Rings set tour.
- Day trip to Martinborough and enjoy a wine trail (either done with a tour company, the hotel driver or by yourself)
- Explore Weta Workshop tours
- Take a trip to the Wellington South Coast and visit Red Rocks
- Wellington is a great city for walking, with many attractions and dining options within walking distance from the hotel.
- Should you wish to use venture out of the city centre, talk to our Concierge for the best method of transport.
- Comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended. Always be prepared with a jacket and sunscreen as Wellington’s weather can be unpredictable.
- Umbrellas are available in guest rooms and from Concierge.
- Most guests requesting transport with the hotel require transfers to the airport or ferry terminals. Our Concierge is the main point of contact for booking transport.